I couldn’t help but marvel at my practice yesterday morning. I practiced outside, facing the sun. All of us can relate to the power of the sun. It sustains us, warms us, cheers us up, energizes us. The yogi’s of yesterday realized the full power of the sun, and revered it for it’s properties, and developed surya namaskar, or sun salutes. We practice them in most beginner and vinyasa classes. Some people who practice yoga only practice sun salutes. They are a complete yoga practice by themselves, and strengthen/stretch every major muscle group. Here are 34 reasons to practice sun salutes, starting with the first 5……
1. Strengthens the entire digestive system (including stomach, pancreas, intestines, liver, etc.) and cures, and prevents constipation.
2. Invigorates the nervous system (including the brain, spinal cord, lower plexus, and cures brain-fag, forgetfulness, worries and other forms of mental derangement. Though shattered nerves take a longer time and are more difficult to repair than other cells, our graduated course of Surya Namaskars will slowly but surely restore them to normality.
3. Invigorates the heart and will cure and prevent blood pressure, palpitation.
4. Develops the lungs, gives you deeper breathing and prevents tuberculosis.
5. Improves the quality and circulation of the blood. Active circulation of the blood is the first law of health.
Read the whole article here.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your mat, and practice, and feel the difference of solar power in your body.
See you on the mat,