The simple and easy way to make changes in your life is by tackling easily manageable baby steps. One question I often get asked is “How much yoga practice should I do a week?” That really depends on your goals. You have to ask yourself what is the goal of practicing yoga….Is it to become more flexible, stronger, lose weight, feel better, overcome an illness, or just to manage stress? Based on previous experience on myself and others I’ve come up with a chart that will help you define your goals.
- To become more Flexible 2X a week, noticeable improvements in 6 months, 3X a week, noticeable improvements in 3 months.
- To become stronger 3X a week, with vinyasa or hot classes; noticeable improvements in a year
- Lose Weight 5X a week various classes, noticeable improvements in 6 month
- More Energy 2X a week, noticeable improvements in 3 months
- Overcome an Illness 6X a week, noticeable improvements in 6 months to a year
- Heal an Injury 2X a week with specific classes Noticeable improvements in 6-10 months
- Manage Stress 1X a week, gentle or beginner yoga, restorative yoga. Improvements within a month
Yoga works just like the turtle. A little bit everyday is more effective than 1 killer class every other week. The bunny’s practice fizzles out and dies short of the goal. But with very specific classes, a goal in mind, and the right mindset, yoga will take you where you want to go.
See you on the mat,