One of the best things for your body is learning deep diaphram breathing. A deep breath can lower blood pressure, and reduce cravings for unhealthy foods. A deep breath that comes from the belly clears chemicals from the body and improves your life span. It helps reduce the stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol, which are more often than not elevated due to stress-filled work environments and a lack of sleep. It’s the most beneficial thing you can do, yet we all struggle with breathing correctly.
When I started my yoga teacher training my breathing was short, shallow, and coming only from the upper chest. One of the most wonderful things that came out of yoga for me, was linking my movements with my breath to reestablish the health of the diaphragm. In a traditional sun salute, when you raise your arms overhead, you take an inhale. This drops the muscle, diaphragm, so that more air can enter the lungs. Likewise, when you fold over your legs, you naturally squeeze the diaphragm up, emptying the air out of the body with the exhale. Here’s what a deep diaphragm breath can do for you….
* Helps lower blood pressure, and therefore the risk of heart disease
• Helps lower blood sugar, and therefore the risk of diabetes
• Releases serotonin, which not only makes you feel good, but can reduce cravings for processed carbohydrates and other junk food
• Eliminates free radicals from the body, improving cellular function and lifespan
• Increases the secretion of growth hormone and slows the aging process
• Improves mental focus and clarity by increasing blood flow to the pre-frontal cortex of your brain
• Improves sleep quality
• Facilitates weight loss by balancing stress hormones with anabolic hormones
But the power of yoga lies in the movement with the breath. Experience the little know benefits of the Sun Salutation for your self. It is life changing. Yoga is life changing. Go ahead, try it. Everyone has time for a sun salute or two.
Just breath on your mat,