I don’t know about you, but I want to live a long healthy life. Turns out centenarians have certain habits that yoga helps develop. Here is how yoga can help you live to 100 or even beyond……
- Mix and Mingle. Being part of a community, coming to class, talking to your teacher. These are all ways we need to stay connected. It’s a rarity in my classes when I start to teach, that I don’t find other people chatting with each other, or welcoming a new face. Staying connected and being part of a regular yoga class community is a very good thing.
- Keep moving. Centenarians move their bodies, about 7 hours total for the week. Balance, strength and cardio training were all used. And yes, you can get all 3 in yoga, even cardio, where a vinyasa class will keep you sweating and moving.
- Keeping your mind physically fit. Good yoga instruction does not involve mirroring what the teacher does in front of the class. It’s about listening to subtle ques, and following through with instructions. It’s the mind body connection.
- Positive attitude. Yoga helps immensly see yourself in a positive light, as well as others. Problems that arise tend to not stress regular yoga practitioners out much.
- Chill out. Stress is killing us, well before our time. it’s real, and it exists. This is a huge benefit of starting and maintaining a yoga practice.
- Listen to your gut. Practicing yoga over a time, will help you naturally eat healthier.
When you start and keep up a regular yoga practice, you will find many more things that will develop out of practicing. These are just a few. Usually after a couple of years, people see and feel the benefits, and will find the time to keep up their yoga practice, even if life gets busy.
See you on the mat,